Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tuesday, Day Three

"Suivant" (Swe-va); "Shita" (shee-ta). "Next" and "Sit" was my mantra today. I uttered those two words many times today. As the triage person, I am the first person the patients encounter at the mobile clinic. I take blood pressure, heart rate and temperatures. I like doing this job, because I get to see most of the 100 patients we treat, touch their hands, play with the babies, etc. I share the triage table with another team member and we really have fun.

We saw many families today; still many many babies, girls with STD's, one child with foot and mouth disease, few hypertensives patients. Nothing too profound, but still many ill patients.

After we returned back from Onaville, we emptied the tap-tap and walked to Chembrun Village (5-7 min walk). Spent time playing with the kids (see pics). This is a local village which is very poverty stricken that generations after generations will never move beyond this element. A voodoo doctor is the epicenter of the village and Christianity is being introduced by NVM by showing unconditional love, offering a true medical clinic at NVM, as well as a school to educate the children. The voodoo house is very guarded and it's a little eerie to walk beside it. No pictures are taken of the house or the surroundings.

Tomorrow we visit a different village and the ride is apparently very bumpy (according to Brooke) for 40 mins. I can't image how more "bumpy" a ride can be, but I better be ready. Speaking of Brooke, she is the nurse that lives here at NVM. She is from Indiana and has committed to NVM until September. She is uncertain is she will recommit, time will tell. She is an absolute angel and has developed a trust with the locals, fluent in Creole and just amazing. Words do her an injustice.

As the evening comes to a close, I wish you all a goodnight. Bonswa!













No comments:

Post a Comment