Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesday, Day Four

I begin my blog with a little history lesson. Maybe since I haven't lectured all week I feel the need or perhaps just to share with you some facts about Haiti.

Haiti is a Caribbean country the size of Maryland, 50 miles from Cuba and 600 miles from Florida. War, dictatorships, natural disasters (and much more) have impacted the current status of Haiti. The average Haitian earns $1 dollar a day; there are 8.7 million people residing in Haiti and more than half of the people lack clean water or sanitation. Fifty percent of the population is undernourished. 12% of the Haitian children die before their first birthday and one third do not make it to their fifth birthday. Voodoo is practiced in Haiti but 50% are Christians (Roman Catholic).

Nehemiah Vision Ministries (NVM) has an amazing outreach to the displaced as well as the established villages. Mobile medical clinics is one outreach that short teams do here in Haiti. If you go to my pre-trip blog the link for NVM is posted.
Ok, ok....Lecture is "fini"!

So, here's what we did today. Went to Thomazeau Village (1 hour 15 min drive) and arrived to an audience of 105 patients. This village is an established village, not displaced people from the earthquake. This was by far the hottest day at clinic. We were inside a church with few windows and very little breeze. However, the day was a blessing (as always)!

Saw more adults then children today; hypertensive adults, case of Malaria, Kidney stone, adult males that admitted to having STD's, not as many malnourished children as Chrembrun. Busy, busy day. One lady told our interpreter she was 44; and she looked to be at least 60! I just smiled at her and thought I will probably do the same thing one day. She kissed my cheek after I took be BP; must be a girl-thing.

We arrived safely back to NVM; debriefed after a glorious vegetable soup dinner. Food seems to be rather tasty these days. We are all staying well hydrated. Collectively, we are all tired; We did not have a chance for a "kabicha" (ka-be-sha) "nap or short sleep" after our return, so early lights out is ok with me.

Day three is in the books!
"Bonne Nwen"..."Goodnight"

Pics: my favorite place is the roof-top, sunset and pic of building and roof-top; clinic life with Victoria assessing patient; me and girl Pat (after clinic); debriefing time; me and boy Pat; people waiting to be triaged.

Sunset




My Favorite Roof Top Spot


Ms Pat






Boy Pat and Me!


Debriefing time

No comments:

Post a Comment